Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Cilantro Creamed Corn

creamedcorn

I love creamed corn. Hey, truth be told, I love corn in almost any way. And what's not to love? It's so crunchy, sweet and delicious.. especially in a cream sauce. It's a good thing we don't have creamed corn to buy here, or I'd be in trouble...

I made a rather unorthodox version for Thanksgiving this year. I didn't mean for it to have so many ingredients - I was actually aiming for just corn, chili, cilantro (fresh coriander) and cream but I forgot to buy chili and it went downhill from there. But it turned out very well, so I  quickly tried to write down the recipe - I definitely want to make this again.

Cilantro Creamed Corn
serves 8 as a small side dish

500 g corn (mine was frozen)
1 tbsp butter
2 tbsp cream
100 ml crème fraîche
2 tbsp flour
100 ml milk
salt, pepper
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp ancho chilli powder
1/4 tsp coriander, ground
large bunch of cilantro (fresh coriander), chopped

Start by frying the corn in butter on fairly high heat, for about ten minutes. It should start to smell a little like popcorn. Add the cream and crème fraîche and cook on medium heat. At this point, my sauce split a little, so I added flour, then milk, to make it creamy again. Season with salt, pepper, a little cumin, chili and coriander. Keep cooking on low heat or serve right away - depending on how well you've timed your meal - but just before serving, stir in the fresh coriander/cilantro.