Friday, June 21, 2013

Food Friday: Chocolate Drops and Newspaper Recipe Contests

I'm envious of those who are lucky enough to have inherited their grandmother's or even great-grandmother's handwritten recipe cards. I'm not so lucky but I have had the pleasant surprise of finding these treasure in cookbooks that I own or that have been given to me.



The New Delineator Recipes cookbook was published by the Butterick Publishing Company in 1929 and unlike most of my Food Friday entries, it is not a community cookbook. Chock full of recipes, this cookbook not only provides you with ideas for what to cook, it even includes food facts like how to use recipes and testing fat for frying. Pre-planned menus help to take the guess work out of meal planning. And like any good vintage cookbook there are some great recipes like Pigeon Casserole.

My parents found this cookbook at a yard sale and bought it for me. Inside was about a handful of recipes written on scraps of papers and index cards. While some include the first name of presumably the woman whose recipe it was, most do not include any kind of identification.



I do know that this cookbook was owned by what looks like a  Mrs. A. L. Shermoley. I love her signature with the flowing ends.



One of the recipes included is a newspaper clipping for the column Recipe of the Week. Of course like any good newspaper clipping (like an obituary) this is closely cropped and reveals nothing about the date this article was published. However, flipping the article over reveals a drive-in movie schedule including such classics as Caine Mutiny with Humphrey Bogart, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea with Kirk Douglas, and Her Twelve Men with Greer Garson. All movies  from the year 1954.



Today's recipe is Chocolate Drops submitted to Recipe of the Week by Mrs. G. Joel of Pasadena.




Today's Food Friday is a good example of how women's names can be found in the newspaper but not always where you think they should be .

For more on newspaper recipe contests, see my article on the GenealogyBank blog entitled "Newspaper Recipe Contests: Was Your Ancestor a Contest Winner?"