Friday, May 17, 2013

Good Friday: Green Tomato Pie

I love it when a cookbook is more than just a cookbook. Today's Food Friday comes from Bellaire's Own Historical Cookbook. Bellaire Women's Civic Club, Bellaire Texas. 1969.


This is the type of cookbook every community should publish, full of histories, vintage images and names. Oh and there are recipes, in fact the recipes are in a few chapters of this book including one entitled Early Families with Their Recipes.



So today's Food Friday is courtesy of Bellaire pioneer Mrs.  H. Z. Kelley.



I love how the recipe ends "Bake as apple pie and you will be surprised." I love fried green tomatoes and pickled green tomatoes so I'm sure I would love this.


Have a family from Bellaire, Texas? Email me and I would be glad to do a look up for you.