Friday, March 23, 2012

Food Friday: Pickled Crab Apples

Today's recipe comes from What's Cooking in Massachusetts. Favorite Bay State Recipes. Compiled by The Massachusetts 4-H Foundation. (n.d.).

I was a member of 4-H for about a year when I was around 11 years old. I took a cooking class and even competed in a cooking contest. Unfortunately, I did not win any recognition because the judges were not impressed with my jello salad.

This community cookbook contains recipes attributed to different counties in Massachusetts but not to the individual author. Names of sponsors, both individuals and groups, appear at the end.








Today's recipe is Pickled Crab Apples. I have a fondness for crab apples because my maternal grandmother had a huge crab apple tree that we cousins used for ammunition against each other. A cousin better be able to run pretty fast or they got pegged with a crab apple upside their head. (Not that I ever did that, of course).

 I didn't realize until I was an adult, that people actually used crab apples for eating.